Thursday, June 16, 2016

Reverend Balthazer Johannes Stuyvesant

Reverend Balthazer Johannes Stuyvesant



Balthazer Stuyvesant, my 10G grandfather, was born about 1573 in Scherpenzeel, Friesland, Netherlands. He died in Delfzyl, Gronigen, Netherlands, 26 May 1637. He married first Margaretha Hardenstein, the widow of the Reverend Petrus Monches, minister at Parrega, at sometime after 18 April 1607 at Zwolle, Netherlands.

Balthazer was minister at Perrega in 1609; Scherpenzeel, Friesland, 1619; Berlikum, 1622; and Delfzyl 1634-1637.

Balthazer married second Stijntje Pieters from Haarlem, the widow of Adrien Gerretz.

On 11 October 1635 in the Amsterdam Chamber of the Dutch West India Company, Balthazer requested that his son by Margaretha Hardenstein, Peter Stuyvesant, traveling to Pernambuco might be advanced to whatever position he may be able to fill.



Account of Reverend Balthazer Stuyvesant for his Passage to CuraƧao
April 17, 1665

Children of Balthazer Stuyvesant and Margaretha Hardenstein were Peter Stuyvesant who married Judith Bayard and Anna Stuyvesant who married Samuel Bayard.


Judith Bayard Stuyvesant

Children of Balthazer Stuyvesant and Stijntje Pieters were Margaretha Stuyvesant who was bornabout 1628 Berlikum and who married Claes Jacobus Backer after 30 October 1655 in the Dutch Reform Church in New York City; Catharina Stuyvesant who was born about 1629 in Berlikum; and Balthazer Stuyvesant.

Balthazer Stuyvesant was the 3G grandfather of John Jay, one of the Founding Fathers and the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. He was also the second governor of the State of New York. He was the 8G grandfather of Eleanor Roosevelt.

John Jay 



Eleanor Roosevelt


Descent from Balthazer Stuyvesant and Stijntje Pieters

10G Balthazer Stuyvesant & Stijntje Pieters

9G Claes Jacobus Backer & Margaretha Stuyvesant

8G Nicholas Backer & Catherine Croesen

7G Pieter Haughwout & Neeltje Backer

6G Johannes Braisted & Trientju Haughwout

5G Egbert Braisted & Rachel Bodine

4G John Braisted & Anna Nautchie Martling

3G Garrett Braisted & Gertrude Vroom

2G John Abyathis Langdon & Ann Louise Braisted

GG Charles David Langdon & Theresa C. White

G Edward Joseph Phillip Fox Langdon & Ellen Agnicius Rockett

Jules Rockstein & Theresa Margaret Langdon

Edward David Rockstein

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Claes Jacobus Backer and Margaretha [Stuyvesant] Backer

Jacobus Backer and Margaretha Stuyvesant

Claes Jacobus Backer and Margaretha [Stuyvesant] Backer are my 9G grandparents.

Old Dutch names can be a bit confusing. Since we in the Langdon family tree have a number of ancestors with Dutch names, I recommend a quick look at these two sources—for Dutch given names click here and for Dutch patronymics [surnames] click here. Spelling in the 17th century was casual as well and, consequently the spellings of names, even within the same family, sometimes diverged—for example 'Langdon' and 'Landon.' The name 'Bakker' also is found as 'Backer', and 'Baker'. Claes' is one of the nicknames for 'Nicolas'. 'Jacobus' is also seen in the records as 'Jacob'. 'Margaretha' also appears as 'Margaret'.

Jacobus Backer was born in Amsterdam, Holland, in 1630-31. He came to New Amsterdam as a merchant trader sometime before March 13, 1653 when he contributed 150 guilders toward “putting the city in a state of defense.”



  Nicolaes Eliasz Pickenoy, Portrait of Jacob Backer, after 1632. Amsterdam Museum, inv. no. SB 2534 (on loan from the Backer foundation).
On October 30th, 1655, he married Margaret Stuyvesant van Delfziel who was born in Holland in 1635 and was half-sister to Governor Peter Stuyvesant (her mother was Styntje Peters van Haarlem, second wife of the Reverend Balthazar Stuyvesant). They had five children, all of whom were baptized in the Dutch Church: 1. Nicholas, March 25, 1657; 2. Balthazar, September 18, 1658; 3. Hillegond, September 7, 1659; 4. Hendricus (Hendrick), September 26, 1660; and Abraham, November 23, 1664.


Margaretha Stuyvesant Backer

Though a free merchant, Jacob Backer often served as a lawyer in the court. His trading operations were extensive and his wife, Margaretha, actively aided him in his business enterprises. He lived on the east side of 'the Gracht” [A
gracht (city-canal) is a waterway in the city with streets on both sides of the water. The streets are lined with houses, often in a closed front] next door to the corner of Prince Straat (Prince Street, later Number 65-67 Broad Street) and his warehouse adjoined his residence. He had bought the lot unimproved in June 1656. Though one of the original patentees of New Utrecht on January 16, 1657, he never settled there and continued to reside in New Amsterdam. On April 23, 1657, he was also patented with Govert Lockermans' and C. van Ruynen's, “Hog’s Neck or Island.”

Jacob Backer was president of the Board of Schepens in 1664 and had been on the Board for several years. (This was the municipal court of justice.) He was provincial agent to Holland in 1663 and was one of the two delegates from New Amsterdam to the General Assembly (Cornelius Steenwick was the other) which met at the New Amsterdam Town Hall in April 1664 five months before the British seizure of the Colony. During Stuyvesant’s interview with Scott in regard to western Long Island prior to the seizure, he was “attended by van Cortland, John Lawrence,
Jacob Backer, and a military escort.”

In his book The Colony of New Netherland; A Dutch Settlement in Seventeenth-Century America (Cornell 2009), Jaap Jacobs, discusses the “social stratification of New Netherland” and noted that the “top tier consisted of major merchants… and high Company officials. … These were men such as Cornelis Steenwijck, Johannes Pietersz van Brugh,
Jacob Backer, and Johannes de Peijster.”*

“On Saturday, September 6, six Dutch and English delegates met outside the city at Stuyvesant’s own bouwerie house and drew up in English the ‘Article of Capitulation of the Surrender of New Netherland’.” The next day the articles were read to the burghers in the church after the second service; the official copy, signed by Colonel Nichols, was
delivered to Governor Stuyvesant and ratified by him; by Desille, the Schout fiscal of New Netherlands; Martin Cregier, the chief militia officer of the province; Peter Tonneman, the city Schout; Burgomaster van der Grist;
Jacobus Backer, president of the Board of Schepens and by the schepens Timothy Gabry, Isaac Greveraet, and Nicholas de Meyer.”


Governor Peter Stuyvesant

After the surrender, Jacobus Backer signed the letter to the Directors in Amsterdam explaining the capitulation. Though he had sworn allegiance to the Crown, he made arrangements to return to Holland and gave his wife power of attorney to conduct his affairs in his absence. He left for Holland in August of 1666 and from there reportedly sailed to the East Indies where he apparently died. Margaret stated that she “very much doubts of his life not having in several years had any letter or advice from him but various reports of his death since his departure from Holland to the East Indies.”
* * * * * * * *

Margaret Backer remained in New Amsterdam and in 1670 was sued in court by Jacques Cousseau for payment due on 8,000 pounds of tobacco with the request to the court that “the house of her husband, Sieur Jacob, be sold to furnish payment.” As she had no effects to pay the debt, the property “on the east side of Broad Street south of Beaver” was sold to Baltus de Haerdt, a wealthy merchant, on February 24, 1671. Margaretha Backer stayed in the house for two years and bore a son to de Haerdt. The child was baptized Daniel in the Dutch Church on September 1, 1671. De Haerdt died in 1672. [It is unclear whether or not they were ever married]

1n 1676, Margaretha Stuyvesant Backer moved with her children to Elizabethtown, New Jersey, where she was granted a substantial amount of land. “Mrs. Margaret Baker of Elizabethtown” was granted two-hundred and twenty-four acres. She settled in Elizabethtown and she and her children attended the Presbyterian Church.

On March 13, 1678, she married Hendrick Drogstrot of Elizabethtown. The following deed was recorded on June 8, 1682:
Hendrick Drogstrot of Elizabethtown, and his wife Margrett to
Hendrick Baker of the same place, Margrett’s son by first husband,
for a house lot of three acres bounded N.E. by a road, S. & S.E. by
grantors, W. by Elizabeth Creek.

On June 9th:
Same grantors to Hendrick, Nicholas, and Abraham Baker for all the real estate patented to Margaret, then widow Baker, April 24, 1677.

Then on June 10th there was another entry of an agreement between “Hendrick and Margaret Drogstrot on one side and her four sons Hendrick, Nicholas, and Abraham Baker and Daniel de Haerdt on the other.”
The three Ba(c)ker brothers all started branches of the Baker Family:

Henry Baker had a son Henry (Jr) who moved to Rahway and was the founder of a Baker family. A younger son, Nicholas, baptized on Stated Island in 1707, apparently moved to Tappan, New York, where another branch of the family was reputed to have been established.

Nicholas Backer, the eldest brother, who married Catherine Croesen, was my 8G grandfather. They moved to Staten Island where he left numerous descendants. (Nicholas apparently was the only child who kept the 'c' in the surname.)

Abraham Baker, the youngest brother, stayed in Elizabethtown. He had two grandsons, Ephriam and Ezekiel. This line is traced only through Ezekiel’s children."
*******************************************************************

Descent from Jacobus Backer & Margaretha Stuyvesant

9G Claes Jacobus Backer & Margaretha Stuyvesant

8G Nicholas Backer & Catherine Croesen

7G Pieter Haughwout & Neeltje Backer

6G Johannes Braisted & Trientju Haughwout

5G Egbert Braisted & Rachel Bodine

4G John Braisted & Anna Nautchie Martling

3G Garrett Braisted & Gertrude Vroom

2G John Abyathis Langdon & Ann Louise Braisted

GG Charles David Langdon & Theresa C. White

G Edward Joseph Phillip Fox Langdon & Ellen Agnicius Rockett

Jules Rockstein & Theresa Margaret Langdon

Edward David Rockstein

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Aert Thunissen van Putten, my 9G Grandfather


Aert Teunissen van Putten




Aert Teunissen van Putten, my 9G grandfather, was New Jersey’s first 'beer baron'. He was the first person in New Jersey to start up a brewery.  Aert was born in 1612 in Putten in the Netherlands. He married Susanna Jans van Schuenburgh, also from the Netherlands. They were among the first European settlers of what is now Hoboken [Hobocan-hackingh--"the place of the tobacco pipe"], New Jersey.
New Netherland

New Netherland


In 1640 Willem Kieft, governor of what was then called New Netherland, granted van Putten a lease on the property that is now Hoboken, beginning on Jan. 1, 1641. As rent van Putten agreed to pay “the fourth sheaf with which God Almighty shall favor the field.” (Presumably one quarter of his production.) The agreement also involved Kieft building a house on the property for the Dutchman and his family. Van Putten cleared the land, fenced it in and began farming. He brought in cattle, pigs, goats and sheep. He also built New Jersey’s first brewery.
While this early colonial ale was probably a favorite in the van Putten household, it was also trade bait. Van Putten offered his brew to the native peoples who inhabited the region in return for furs. Some of these trades took place on an inlet near the Sandy Hook area called Beeregat which translates from the Dutch to 'beer hole'.

While Governor Kieft set the young Dutchman up, he also laid the groundwork for his demise. Kieft ordered the massacre of 120 Native Americans in Pavonia [PavoniaMassacre] in 1643 and in doing so started what has been known as Kieft’s War. A retaliatory strike by the Lenni Lenape killed the 31-year-old brewery pioneer that same year while he was on a trading trek. They also destroyed his property and livestock, but spared Susanna and apparently left the brewery standing although there is no evidence of operations there ever resuming.  The precise location of his brewery is no longer known, but given that it’s Hoboken, there’s a good chance there is a bar on the site now.

The second brewery in New Jersey was set up by Peter Ballantine whose business survived a good deal longer.

The children of Aert and Susanna were Jan Arentson and Wynte Arents [from whom I am descended].


Monday, January 7, 2013

John Langdon of Hempstead and Boston--Revolutionary Service

Revolutionary Soldier John Langdon of Hempstead, My 4G Grandfather


John Langdon was born about seven in the morning on 30 Sep 1754 in Hempstead on Long Island in NY. John was baptized at St. George's Episcopal Church in Hempstead on 30 Sep 1754. His father, also John Langdon, predeceased him sometime around 27 Feb 1754. His mother was Catherine Langdon nee Clowes; she had been baptized 8 Jan 1720 at Grace Episcopal Church in Jamaica, NY. She married second Samuel Rowland of Dutchess County, NY, [not the contemporary Samuel Rowland of Hempstead] in late November or early Dec 1761 at St. George's Episcopal Church in Hempstead.

John Langdon married Phebe Seaman sometime during the summer of 1778 in the Nine Partners Patent in Dutchess County, NY. Phebe had been born in North Castle, Westchester, NY, on 18 Nov 1760 to Charles and Esther Seaman. Since John and Phebe in some cases buried their children in Friends Burying Grounds, it is probable that Phebe was Quaker and possible that she may have been related to the large, predominantly Quaker, family of Captain John Seaman of Long Island.

John and Phebe had ten children, five girls and five boys, the first five before Phebe was 25. John and Phebe had their first three children while residing in the Ninepartners Patent; the family then moved to Long Island in 1783 where they had their next three children; and then they moved to New York [probably & more specifically Brooklyn] where they resided when they had the remainder of their children, although they were out of the city when their last child, William, was born due to illness abroad in the city.

According to his Revolutionary War pension application, during the American Revolutionary War, John Langdon, aged 22, volunteered, in Jun 1775, for a company from North Hempstead under the command of Captain Thomas Mitchill in the battalion commanded by Colonel Malcolm for a five month enlistment.

He served as a sergeant and was in New York City with the troops when a British force commanded by General Howe landed on Long Island. He served as a sergeant of the guard at DeLancy's old mansion in the Bowery guarding the “desperadoes” who had murdered General Parsons. He was ill with yellow fever in Aug 1776. He was aboard a sloop in September of that year that was captured and he was taken prisoner by the British, only to finally escape in Jun 1777.

In early July of 1777 he had reenlisted and was at Fort Howard to bring supplies from Lake George to General Schuyler who was under retreat from the forces of General Burgoyne. When he arrived at Saratoga, General Gates had taken command and John was there for the Battle of Bemis Heights and the surrender of the forces of General Burgoyne.

In 1778 while he was residing with his “father-in-law” [meaning his “step-father” in this case] Colonel Samuel Rowland, Rowland's regiment was called together and John was designated a second lieutenant under Captain Benjamin Hicks. This company was subsequently attached to Colonel Wood's regiment. John Langdon continued in service until sometime in 1780 while under the command of Captain Samuel Smith at Camp Highlands opposite West Point—being called out on alarms on several occasions. John never received any written confirmation of his commission and was subsequently deactivated and made supernumerary when his unit was reorganized.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Evert Pels, My 8G Grandfather

Evert Pels, my 8G grandfather, from Stettin, Pomerania, his wife, and a servant came from Amsterdam, Holland, to the colony of Rensselaerswyck in 1642. While still in Amsterdam, on June 5,1642, he was engaged as a brewer for the term of six years. He was to travel to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck to work for the Patroon, KiliaenVan Rensselaer, [who remained in Holland, but had engaged others to administer the Colony for him and his partners who formed a Board of Directors for the Colony.] Evert Pels and his wife came on the ship Den Houten. and landed in New Amsterdam, now New York City. They then went up the Hudson River to Beverwijck, now Albany, New York. 

Evert Pels was a freeman. He paid his own way to the Colony and was, therefore, not indentured to the patroon for a number of years as were those who bound themselves as servants to the patroon for a number of years in exchange for passage to the Colony. The document, dated June 3, 1642, that gives the details of Evert Pel's emigration does not give the name of his wife, Jannetje Symons., but we now know that she is the wife who came with him from Amsterdam. Nor does the memo give the name of the servant who came with them.

Evert Pels was a very enterprising man. After his six year contract as a brewer was finished on February 28, 1648, he leased a farm on Papscanee Island for six years, at f560 a year, but after building a new house and barns, he transferred the lease Jan 14, 1649, to Juriaen Bestvall and Jochem Kettelheym. [Both of whom had come to the New Netherlands on the same ship as Evert. These were two men who had come to the colony by contracting with the patroon to work for six years as laborers. Their time was now served and they were able to lease a farm and work for themselves.] Evert Pels turned the farm over to them on March 25, 1649. 

November 18,1649, he leased jointly with Willem Fredericksz (Bout), a farm in Greenbush, for which he is charged in the accounts with an annual rent of f400, from May 1, 1649 until 1661 when he moved to  Esopus; the same day he also leased the saw-and grist-mill in Greenbush, for which he is charged with an annual rent of f125, from May 1, 1649, till May 1, 1658. He also owned a sloop on the river and a lot on Broadway in Manhattan which he sold in 1656. In 1657 he sent down to New Amsterdam 2100 beaver skins. He advised the Director of the colony on horses and other farm animals.

In the Colony of Rensselaerswyck, they were living on a frontier. The village of Beaverwyck was adjacent to Fort Orange, which was established to conduct the fur trade with the Indians. Even the name Beaverwijck reflects that the fur trade with the Indians was the main purpose for the settlement at Albany. There were fewer than 1000 settlers living from New Amsterdam to Fort Orange. The settlement went as far north as Albany for two reasons, 1) because the level of the Hudson River, raises one foot there at high tide, and that is as far as the sailing ships could travel up the river to bring trade goods and supplies from Holland and to transport the fur pelts down the river to New Amsterdam; and 2) the Mohawk River flows into the Hudson River near Albany which allowed Indians from western New York to bring furs more easily. Traders did not travel about the Indian nations to trade for furs. Instead, the Indians brought their furs to Beaverwijck and the trading was conducted there. Goods coming from Europe were unloaded from the ocean-
going ships at New Amsterdam (now New York) and reloaded on a river yacht for transport up the river to Beaverwijck. (The trip up river took several days.) The colonists were living in the midst of several Indian nations. The settlements did not go very far inland from the river. Their surroundings were really primitive. They lived in log houses and the town was surrounded by palisades.

In 1661 Evert Pels, his family, and a number of friends bought land in the Esopus [the region around the Esopus river where Kingston, New York, now is].

It appears that Ever Pels and his family moved to the Esopus in April, May, or June of 1661. At the time of the move, Evert Pels and Jannetje Symons had seven children. Their names and approximate birth dates are given as follows:
Hendrick, born about 1643-44;
Jannetje, born about 1646;
Evert Evertse, born about 1648;
Clara, christened 10 Sept. 1651;
Marie, born about 1653-55;
Elizabeth, born about 1657; and
Sara, christened, 3 July 1659.
Two more children were born in the Esopus:
Rebecca, baptized 13 Nov. 1661 and
Symon baptized 29 March 1665.

The following History of the Esopus region is from Peter R. Christoph’s Introduction in “The Kingston papers”, published by the Holland Society of New York, together with quotes from the Kingston Papers:

The earliest known sale of land in the region of the Esopus involved a parcel sold by the Esopus Indians to Thomas Chambers, a carpenter and farmer residing at that time in Rensselaerswyck. The patent was confirmed on June 5, 1652.  Throughout the early history of the settlement, the presence of the Indians cast an ominous pall over the whole community. They were particularly vulnerable in their scattered houses and were often at fault for the bad relations with the natives. Director-General Peter Stuyvesant [my half 9th great grand uncle],  recognized the danger to them, and, at his urging, the settlers signed a bond on May 31, 1658, agreeing to erect a palisaded village and demolish their separate dwellings. Then on the night of September 20, 1659, a group of settlers and soldiers senselessly shot three Indians, killing one of them. The result was the First Esopus War, which did not end until the signing of a peace treaty on July 15, 1660.

Despite the war and the uneasiness of the ensuing peace, the population of the community continued to grow. By May 2, 1661, the hamlet had been named Wildwyck by Stuyvesant. About May of 1662 a second community was established nearby, called Nieuw Dorp (New Town) [now Hurley] which was settled by former residents of Beaverwyck and Wildwyck. The farmland bought by Evert Pels was between Wildwyck and Nieuw Dorp.

The fragile peace ended on June 7, 1663, when the Indians burned Nieuw Dorp and attacked Wildwyck. On that morning a number of Esopus Indians entered Wildwyck [now Kingston] to sell their produce, corn, and beans to the settlers. Between 11:00 and 12:00 in the forenoon, some people on horseback, rushed thru the Mill gate, from the village, crying out “the Indians have destroyed the village.” Upon hearing this, the Indians fired a shot and attacked the settlers at every house with axes, tomahawks, rifles, and pistols. Sixteen settlers were killed and a number were carried off as prisoners. Everts Pels’ son Hendrick was one of those who were carried off. He was not found until a year and a half later. By that time he had married an Indian girl and had a child. He lived among the Indians for the rest of his life. The resulting loss of life, concern for settlers taken hostage, and heavy loss of property had a long-lasting effect upon the community. A peace treaty was concluded on May 15, 1664. This was the Second Esopus war

Next new trouble came to Esopus from a new source. English forces sent by the Duke of York seized New Amsterdam on September 8, 1664; on the 25th Wildwyck was placed under the authority of the Duke. New Netherlands and New Amsterdam were renamed New York and Beaverwijck became Albany. The name Wildwyck fell into disuse, the new community was generally referred to as the Town of Esopus. Peter Stuyvesant retired to the life of a private citizen and the residents of Esopus struggled to adjust to the change in rule. It was not easy. All the problems of life under an occupation force faced the settlers. They were compelled to board soldiers in their homes and to suffer insults and abuse from the armed troops. Reaction against such treatment culminated in the Esopus Mutiny of February 4, 1667. This armed threat to English rule subsided after a few hours . Governor Richard Nicholls wisely chose to mete out punishment to soldiers as well as civilians, but incidents continued to occur.

The court of Esopus assigned that original settler, Thomas Chambers, and Evert Pels meet with the British to try to settle the matter as follows: “Thomas Chambers, Captain and overseer, and Evert Pels overseer, are hereby authorised, by the Court to acquaint Captain Broadhead, the answer of the Inhabitants, that Cornelis Barentsen Sleight by him Imprisoned, might be Relaxed, out of his Imprisonment, for to prevent further trouble and danger; and in Case the afore said Cornelis Barentsen Sleight, hath offended the said Captain Broadhead, that the said Broadhead (according to the Governor's Order:) Should sue him to the Court, for to be Examined and Corrected, dated in Wiltwyck this 4/14 of Feb. 1667. Wm Beeckman, Jan Joosten, Roelof Swartwout.”

“In answer to this above standing, Captain Broadhead Replyes, that he will keepe Cornelis Sleight in apprehension, as Longe he thincks good, and in Case the Inhabitants will fetsh him by force, that he Would Waight uppon them, dated in Wiltwyck this 4/14 off Feb. 1667"

On September 17, 1669, Nieuw Dorp was renamed Hurley. On April 6, 1668, Governor Nicolls granted land in a new patent at the Esopus to a number of his soldiers. A village was established there, which, under his successor, Francis Lovelace, was named Marbletown on September 17, 1669. On the same day Nieuw Dorp was renamed Hurley, and on September 25, Esopus became Kingston. The official pronouncement was made on April 25, 1670. Thomas Chambers, the original settler in the region, was rewarded by Governor Lovelace by having his house and land enfranchised as the manor of Fox Hall on October 16, 1672.

The war in Europe between England and the Netherlands reached New York when a Dutch force under Anthony Colve recaptured New York City around July 30-August 9, 1673. Esopus was reduced by the Dutch around August 15. Colve became Governor General on September 19 and re-established Dutch rule. Among other changes Kingston was renamed Swaenenburgh. However, under the Treaty of Westminster, the colony was returned to English control on November 10, 1674. Edmund Andros became Governor on that day and Swaenenburch became Kingston once again.
On this August 5, 1672, it was resolved to dispatch Evert Pels and Robbert Gouldsberry to New York for the purpose of receiving information about the state of affairs at New York. And each of them shall receive a schooner of wheat per day for their trouble. It was also resolved that Capt. Chambers, at the least report, shall call the burghers here to arms in the village, and then to send delegates to the troops, and in the meantime to act in accordance with the reply we shall expect from them.
Instructions of Evert Pels, A. Jansen, court messenger, and R. Gouldsberry: 1) They shall immediately depart for the purpose of learning the condition of affairs at New York, because we have been informed that there are some Holland vessels there for the purpose of taking the country; 2) They shall sail in a boat until they shall meet some yacht or Christians whom they shall ask how things are in New York, and having received trustworthy information shall return immediately and report to us. August 5, 1672, at Kingston, by the honorable court at Kingston, (Signed) W. LaMontagne, secretary.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Egbert Van Borsum My 9G Grandfather excerpt from article










excerpted from

The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volumes 25-26 article by William Gordon Ver Planck





Sunday, December 2, 2012

Catalyntje Trico, My 10G Grandmother, Wife of Joris Rapalje

Catalyntje Trico was the daughter of Jeronimus Jan Tricot and Michele Sauvagie. Catalyntje Trico was born in 1606 at Pris, Hainault, Belgium. She married Joris Janssen Rapalje, son of Jean de Rapalje and, possibly Elizabeth Baudoin, on 21-Jan-1624 at the Walloon Church, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands. She died on 11-Sep-1689 at Wallabout, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York.

She was also known as Catalyntje Jeronomus Tricot. On 17-Oct-1688 she stated in a deposition that she was 83 years of age, born in Paris France [sic*], came to this country in the ship Unity in 1623 which was commanded by Adrian Jorise, and that she arrived in Albany New York and after two years moved to New Amsterdam.

Catalyntje Tricot was a remarkable woman! We encounter her first when she carefully placed her mark on a marriage intention document and then we follow her as an 18 yr. old French-speaking bride on a Dutch ship headed for New Netherland. She bore 11 children and helped her husband with his business affairs as we learn from a successful suit at law in which a considerable debt was recovered. The evidence depended upon the books which she kept and which she was required to exhibit before the court.

An interesting reference to Catalyntje is found in a journal kept by two Labadist travelers who came to New York in 1679 and visited the aging Catalina at her home on the Wallabout. From their account we find that they traveled by boat.to Wale-bocht. a place situated on Long Island. almost an hour’s distance below the city and reached the bay in about two hours. This was a bay tolerably wide where the water rises and falls much and is at low water very shallow and much of it dry. 'The aunt of De la Grange [i.e., Catalyntje Trico Rapalje] is an old Walloon from Valenciennes, seventy-four years old. She is wordly-minded, living with her whole heart as well as body, among her progeny which now number 145 and will soon reach 150. Nevertheless she lived alone by herself, a little apart from the others, having her little garden and other conveniences, with which she helped herself."

In 1685 and again in 1688, Catalyntje was asked to give depositions concerning her arrival in America, one of which was to assist William Penn in a dispute over the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland, later known as the Mason-Dixon line. For many years the information she gave was rejected as the babblings of a senile old lady. It is now agreed among historians that the details that she remembered after more than sixty years and when she was over eighty years old, are remarkably accurate.

In the  deposition taken at her home on Long Island on October 17, 1688 2, she states:
"Catelyn Trico doth Testify and Declare that in ye year 1623, she came into this country with a Ship called ye Unity, whereof was commander Arien Jorise belonging to ye West India Company, being ye first ship yt came here for ye sd. Company. As soon as they came to Mannatans, now called N. Yorke, they sent Two families and six men to Hartford River, and Two Families and Eight men to Delaware River, and eight men they left at N. Yorke to take Possession, and ye Rest of ye Passengers went with ye Ship as farr as Albany which they then called fort Orange.--
"Ye sd Deponent lived in Albany three years, all which time ye Indians were all as quiet as Lambs and came and Traded with all ye Freedom Imaginable; in ye year 1626, ye Deponent came from Albany and settled at N. Yorke where she lived afterwards for many years and then came to Long Island."

 Catalyntje Rapalje died September 11, 1689. She was 84 years old. 

* From an article by George E. McCracken in The American Genealogist, Vol. 48, page 118:
For long it was believed that Catelyntje was born in Paris, France, and, indeed, this old error was restated as recently as April 1971 in a letter to the editor of The Colonial Genealogist (Vol. 3, No. 4, New Series, p. 258) . . . The origin of the error is to be found in a  deposition made by Catelyntje on 17 Oct. 1688 (printed in E. B. O'Callaghan, Documentary History of New York [1850] 3:32; also in Frank Allaben, Ancestry of Leander Howard Crall (New York 1908), p. 391; the deposition is from New York Colonial Manuscripts, vol. 35. This begins "Catelyn Trico aged about 83 years born in Paris."
In March 1961 when the distinguished genealogist, John Insley Coddington, was in Amsterdam, he was informed by Dr. Simon Hart of the Gemeinte Archief that Catelyntje was actually born in the tiny hamlet of Pry, 50/215/17' North latitude, 4/215/26' East longitude, on the Herve River directly south of Charleroi in Hainault. It is obvious that when Catelyntje said "Pry," the English-speaking clerk who took down the  deposition misunderstood her to be pronouncing "Paris" as the French pronounce it, an easy error if she rolled the "r" very strongly. This important information was printed soon after in the News-Letter of the American Society of Genealogists, but as that periodical is not available outside the Society, the information did not become generally known.
www.flickr.com
Doc Rock's photos More of Doc Rock's photos

Iraq War Costs--Going Up!!!!

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)